Review: Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey

Name of book: Brat Farrar
Author: Josephine Tey
Publication: September 2nd 1997 by Touchston
Genre: Thriller
Souce: Borrowed

In this tale of mystery and suspense, a stranger enters the inner sanctum of the Ashby family posing as Patrick Ashby, the heir to the family's sizable fortune. The stranger, Brat Farrar, has been carefully coached on Patrick's mannerism's, appearance, and every significant detail of Patrick's early life, up to his thirteenth year when he disappeared and was thought to have drowned himself. It seems as if Brat is going to pull off this most incredible deception until old secrets emerge that jeopardize the imposter's plan and his life.



-- My Rating --

-- My Thoughts --

     I borrowed this book from one of my friends, the blurb looked interesting enough. Although the cover is the pretty average cover of the old times, just the name of the book, the author, and the publication. I had mixed feelings,  50% by 50% of this book.
     Brat Farrar is an average man living a plain life, until the day he meets Alec Loding on the street. Alec convinces him to impose the personality of a boy who has died many years ago and pretend to be him. The boy, Patrick Ashby is the heir of an estate and a large sum of money but Patrick jumped off a cliff many years ago and has been declared dead ever since. Brat doesn't want to this but he is convinced by the darkly intelligent, Alec.
     Brat learns that Patrick had a twin named Simon, who will be the heir of the estate when he turns twenty-one. When Brat becomes the new owner of the estate, Simon is enraged but he knows that Brat is not really Patrick. Brat realizes that he is in for much more than he bargained with.
     Why is Simon so sure that Brat is not Patrick? Will Brat blend in with his new life? Might he finally get a chance at love? Find out much more when you read this mysterious tale of desires, greed, arrogance, and family connections, Brat Farrar...
     I liked this book. The storyline is mysterious and intriguing. But the novel is a bit slow, I felt like it only picked up at the very end. Plus, the characters were not very three-dimensional, I felt like they lacked emotions and cravings. But still, I loved Brat and I loved to hate all the villains in this novel. The end was too abrupt for me and I didn't get the point of why the book ended like that.
     I didn't enjoy this book very much, it just wasn't my type. But since everyone is different and we all have different ideas, you might like this book. Who knows? This book might just be your favorite cup of tea!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!