Review: Bloodspell by Amalie Howard

Title: Bloodspell
Author: Amalie Howard
Publication: June 1st 2011 by Langdon Street Press
Genre: YA Paranormal
Source: Provided by the kind publisher...

The spell was simple...

Cruentus Protectum (Defend the Blood)

But what do you do if your blood is your enemy?

Victoria Warrick has always known she was different. An outcast at school, she is no stranger to adversity. But when she receives an old journal for her seventeenth birthday, nothing prepares her for the dark secrets it holds -- much less one that reveals she's a witch with unimaginable power.

What's more, when she meets the dazzling but enigmatic Christian Devereux, she has no idea how much her life is about to change. Enemies will hunt her. Friends will turn on her. The terrible curse that makes her blood run black will stop at nothing to control her. And Christian has a sinister secret of his own...

Without knowing whom to trust, can Victoria survive her blood's deadly desires? Or will she lose everything, including herself?


-- My Rating --


3.5 / 5 Oscars: Liked it...

-- My Thoughts --


     I have not been a fan of vampire stories after Twilight. They just never succeeded in adding something new to the mix of the paranormal genre. I appreciated this one because it combined the witch lore (which I love) and the vampire lore (which I am not a huge fan of).
     Victoria led a normal life, up until the day of her birthday. She is not a normal girl anymore, nor are the people around her. A vampire, a warlock, a witch and an auro-seeker. Her friends and enemies are not, and never were normal.
     The characters were typical in this book. The only word to describe them was typical. They reminded me of my friends, my enemies, and my family. It was a nice connection but there was nothing amazing or unique about them. The plot is moving fast-enough, but at sometimes, I felt like the romance between the two main characters, Victoria and Christian was too fast. They rushed at it, and it sucks, but it kinda reminded me of Fifty Shades of Grey (probably because of the main character's name)
     This book has a couple of flaws, but it was intriguing enough to keep me turning the pages up into the night. Which I appreciated. It kept me distracted, which was the point of reading it. I don't really know if this was a standalone or a series, but either way, I am eager to know more about.

10 comments:

  1. I have this one but I haven't read it yet. The vampire concept also tends to put me off. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just do not think this is the book for me, though I do know peeps who would like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that this one managed to keep you intrigued for a while, Soma. I can see where you might be concerned with the vampire issue. There aren't a lot anymore floating around, but I usually don't mind them if they have a good story. I hate when a romance moves too fast, though. It just completely ruins an entire book that would have otherwise been amazing because you can't believe the romance >.<

    Thanks for sharing, Soma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this in my TBR pile for a few of the reading challenges I joined this year but haven't got the chance to pick it up yet. I love witches! Vampires are okay though I am not a big fan. There are a few books about vampires that I like. I'm definitely not okay with romances that is not believable. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say that this book is still sitting on my shelf unread. I really want to read it but something else always is more urgent. I'm glad that you enjoyed this story overall. :) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Jot down your feels, your thoughts, your musings
I Listen!